1. I believe grief is a process that involves a lot of time, energy and determination I won't "get over it" in a hurry, so don't rush me!
2. I believe grief is intensely personal This is my grief. Don't tell me how I should be doing it. Don't tell me what's right or wrong. I'm doing it my way, in my time.
3. I believe grief is affecting me in many ways. I am being affected spiritually, physically, emotionally, socially and mentally. If I'm not acting like my old self, it's because I'm not my old self and some days I don't understand myself.
4. I believe I will be affected in some way by this loss for the rest of my life As I get older, I will have new insights into what this death means to me. My loved one will continue to be part of my life and influence me until the day I die.
5. I believe I am being changed by this process. I see life differently. Some things that were once important to me aren't any more. There are some things I used to pay little or no attention to that are now important. I think a new me is emerging, so don't be surprised and don't stand in the way.