Sunday, May 8, 2011

UNI Graduation - Michelle Obama

Saturday, May 7, 2011

I was excited to get an email from my friend, Meghan, telling me that she had an extra ticket to see First Lady, Michelle Obama, speak at the University of Northern Iowa as the commencement speaker. I jumped at the chance to see and hear from the First Lady, whether or not she is Democrat or Republican. It was a really neat experience. Thanks, Meg and Laura!

Also, Julie, a new friend of mine that volunteers a great deal of time and effort into Iowa's Bravest, sending boxes to troops serving overseas, put together a bunch of items to give to Mrs. Obama on behalf of all the Iowan soldiers. In that package were two patriotic barrettes that I made to give to Sasha and Malia. How cool is that?! :O) Thank you for doing that, Julie!


Meghan, Laura, Me
Waiting for graduation to start.

Taking her seat.

Our view from the seats

On the big screen.

Waving as she leaves the stage.

Meg and I outside the UNI Dome.

Ending the day with some shopping on Main Street and the BEST... B*E*S*T cupcakes I've ever had in my entire life. 'SCRATCH' is the name of the shop and it's run by a fellow graduate from Cedar Falls High School. They are divine. Especially the chocolate peanut butter one. I crave it daily... :O)
FUN DAY FUN DAY FUN DAY FUN DAY FUN DAY FUN DAY FUN DAY

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Ollie,
I read in your mom's blog that you went to camp? How cool was that! I've never been on a real camp. My son Ollie, he's been on loads and now every summer, he pitches a tent in the garden and practically lives out there. He always comes indoors for his food and makes sure his outdoor bed is comfortable. Last year, I found his bed mattress in the tent, 2 bottles of cheap cola and a huge bag of popcorn. I didn't mind as it wasn't hurting anyone.

I'll continue to keep you in my thoughts and prayers sweetie. You are an amazingly strong young man and your family is fantastic so with them with you every step of the way, you will be able to keep fighting.

Now a message for your mommy,
Sorry to hear you are in pain yourself. No doubt the stress of Ollie's illness and a fairly tiny baby isn't helping matters? I have a few chronic pain problems myself and so I'm talking from experience. Speak to your doctor, get appropriate tests done & sort out your pain issues. If you do this, you'll be able to cope with the other bombardments that are thrown at you.

My thoughts and prayers are also with you and the remainder of Ollie's family.

Carey Kenchington
England
quince183@btinternet.com

meghan said...

I wish I could have gone to graduation and those cupcakes look DEVINE! Guess I know where I will be stopping next time I am in town!