Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Oliver's MRI - June

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

I thought this sign was pretty funny. We eat at Chili's a lot when we go down there since we don't have one here in town. I love their chips and salsa as well as the fact that they support
St. Jude's Children's Hospital.

Ollie and Bear

Wednesday, June 15th, 2011 - MRI day

Jaren watching the 'ghost playing the piano' at the hospital in Iowa City.

Oliver waiting in the children's area.

Weighing in...

Reading Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles while waiting in the room for the doctor.

Ed looks like he's getting a once over by some weird alien device or a women's nylon container... :O)

Ed and I have been very nervous for this MRI, as Oliver's weakness and gait have been getting worse. He's been stumbling more lately and choking here and there. These are all signs of progression, a term for tumor growth. He went in and had his MRI in the morning and then we started walking through the hospital to see his radiation doctor. We were surprised to see some friendly faces down there! Out of the elevator pops Karen Blough and her two sweet kids. She took our family photos right after Oliver was diagnosed and several months later, her own sweet little boy was diagnosed with a brain tumor. When my friend had told me about her son, my heart sank. I wanted to contact her immediately as I know the lonely road that she was most likely on. It was the first time I was able to meet her kids... he was there for a checkup. He is doing well following his surgery. :O)

We continued to radiology to meet with Dr. Buatti. We usually wait for a bit in a little room for kids off of the main lobby. Ollie usually plays at the magnetic table or pushes the button to watch ping pong balls make their descent through a winding track of sorts mounted to the wall.

He gets called back and his vitals are checked and then we wait in a room to talk with the doctor. A new resident that we've never met with came in and I braced myself for horrible news. I just knew that they were going to say that his tumor had grown... but I was completely shocked when he said that it was stable and may have even shrunk. I looked at Ed in complete amazement and then at my mom. I couldn't believe it! The doctor came in and confirmed what the resident had said. I am amazed. It's been nearly 18 months since diagnosis, 6 months longer than we were told he'd live. I think I'm still in shock. What now? His next scheduled MRI is in 3 months. He just started physical therapy in hopes of strengthening his muscles. He just isn't as active as he once was. Hopefully we'll learn some things that we can do at home with him. I can now exhale............

Outside Old Chicago... I had to get a picture of Ollie's favorite baseball team and football team on the same sign!

Herky statue. Herky is a mascot of the University of Iowa and there are many statues around town of him!

We drove to Cedar Rapids and stopped at Biaggi's to celebrate my brother, Chad's birthday.
Mom, Chad and Jaren

Ed, Jaren, Oliver

This kid LOVES spaghetti! :O)

Chad and Ollie

Ollie and me


Scott and Lindsay said...

Oh I am so happy! Wait-a-go you tough boy Ollie!!

meghan said...

Woooo HOOOOO!! I was so ecstatic when I heard the news!!! Prayers Answered!!!